How Bedford Select Works
If you are a new user, you can register and begin building a custom reader by entering your e-mail address and creating a password on our log-in page.
If you are a returning user, you can simply enter your existing credentials from the previous Bedford Select site to return to an existing project or create a new book. You can find your existing projects by clicking on the My Library link on the upper right of the page.
To begin, click the Get Started button in the center of the page. You will be taken to the Search page. Click on the link in the center of the page that says Bedford Select: A Custom Database to access the full contents and then you can search further from there (see below). Click the Edit Project Title button in the right side panel to name your project.
The minimum initial order is 25 copies; the minimum reorder is 10 copies.
Step 1: Gather Content
- Search our contents by clicking author, title, genre, theme, lexile level, rhetorical classification, theme,
date, or keyword links in the black box on the left hand side. You can also use the search bar.
- To add a selection to your reader, click the Add This Chapter button that appears below each title.
- Use a pre-built table of contents.
- To do this, click on the Suggested Tables of Contents link that appears below the QuickSelect TOCS heading. You can preview any one of the Quick Select: Suggested Tables of Contents by clicking on the title. If you would like to add the TOC to your reader, click Add All Chapters. You can then rearrange or remove selections in the right side panel—you can drag and drop to change the order, or click the red X next to a selection to delete it
- Preview content.
- To do this, click on the magnifying glass image next to the title of a selection. (Due to restrictions in electronic rights, not all selections can be viewed online. This will be noted in the preview window if applicable.)
- Include instructional materials.
- To do this, click on the Instructional Materials link in the black box on the left side. Select one of the category links, such as "Working with Sources." The selections in that category will appear below, and you can choose which you would like to include.
- Add your own material.
- To do this, click on the Add Your Own Original Material link in the red box at the bottom left side of the page and upload a Word document of the content you would like to include. The outside material you submit will be lightly proofread, formatted, and sent back to you for your approval within 3 days. Any documents that you upload will be saved in the My Documents section on the Add Your Own Material page, which you can then upload for future projects if necessary.
Step 2: Organize Content
- Arrange your readings in the order that best complements your course by dragging and dropping each selection to its proper place.
- You have the option to include section titles in your table of contents, to demarcate divisions such as theme, genre, rhetorical method, and so on. Click on the Insert Section Title button to create, and then drag and drop the title where it belongs in your reader.
- Click the Next button.
Step 3: Select Cover
- Click the Select Cover link in the blank thumbnail. Choose one of our attractive cover templates.
- Personalize your cover by filling in the cover text fields. To preview your cover, click Preview. Then click Save.
Step 4: Submit Order
- Once you’ve chosen your cover, review the Summary on the right side of the page. Bedford Select readers are only available in Black & White. You may choose to disable part openers, which means that any section titles you added to your reader will appear on the Table of Contents but no part openers will appear in the text. You may also elect to receive an evaluation copy. Then click the Next button.
- Review your course and project information and click Publish.
Once you've submitted your order, you will receive an e-mail letting you know that your order has been received. Within 2 business days, a Bedford Select representative will contact you to confirm the net price for your reader and issue an ISBN, which you will need to submit to your bookstore. Please note that books do not go into production until your bookstore submits a purchase order. Your bookstore should allow 3-4 weeks for the production of your custom reader, or 6-8 weeks if your reader is packaged with another textbook or trade title.